Friday, February 18, 2011

Workout Diary of a Deranged White Woman Day #3 through Day #7

Sooooo.... this is clearly not a daily blog. Apologies for that, but life gets in the way. I am a software consultant and work longish hours and drive far to clients at times. But.. I can report, I think that I fought the good fight the last 5 days.

Day #3
Started with a dreaded activity...getting up. Early. I hate getting up early. I hate getting up early a LOT.
But, I did. I had a breakfast of egg whites and then ran for an hour. It was suffering, mainly because of the early rising part, but I was real proud of just managing to get up and do it.
During the day, I had a further 5 small meals with protein, greens (2 meals in the day were replaced by whey protein powder - yummy...NOT). I dont know about other people who drink the stuff, but all that is said about its great, creamy chocolate taste - Lies, ALL LIES (as Frau Farbissina says in Austin Powers). Oh well.
The evening was another session of cardio, with a workout on legs. Barbell squats, Deadlifts, Reverse Dumbell Lunges, Stiff Leg Good mornings. Needless to say... Need I say more?

Day #4
I was due at a client, at 10 AM, 2 hours away to give a training session, so I rose earlier (with a bit of difficulty) than the previous day, had my breakfast of oats, almond milk, and did that hour of "refreshing" cardio, before the sun came up properly. The cat nearly caused my death by scooting across the front of the treadmill at high speed. He shot through my feet and out the back quicker than the eye could see. I then had coffee with Xylitol and skim milk - for anyone out there - skim milk is disgusting and overrated.

At the client, the stiffness had properly set in from the night before and the punishment of the morning. My butt was sore and I suffered every time I lowered my ass to the toilet to have a pee. I was ravenously hungry and had my mid morning meal - whey powder shake, with a handful of almonds. Coffee, with no milk and no sweetener, because customers don’t quite cater to the tastes of someone on THE CHALLENGE!!!

The rest of the day, meals of the type mentioned above were repeated and the evening was a cardio evening, with Abdominals.

The evening also entailed a few nasty late night support issues for a client and prep for the next day. I didn’t get to bed until 2AM.

Day # 5
Much like day #4 - except I went to the same client, but was due much earlier. I was tired and I didn’t have the self discipline to get up at 5 AM after the night (morning before). I changed my eating plan for the day, ate a bit less at each meal and worked out longer the night.

I ran on the road that night. The weather was great, it was above zero, and the trail’s ice had melted, so no slipperiness. It was a nice run, even though I could feel the stuff going in my butt and legs. Weights: It was a chest, back and arms night.
I was really tired that night. I went to bed earlier than usual and slept like a log.

But here’s the thing: after my shower … I got on the scale – curious you see, and wanting some early gratification – 4 pounds down. Is that even possible? I looked in the mirror – nothing looked different me. I thought, oh well, I am in it for the 12 weeks and who knows?


Day #6
By now everyone knows the drill. Today I was working at home, so early morning I had my breakfast and I did the run. But, this day was really, really tough. My muscles weren’t as much sore, as tired. Why is that?
I switched on my Netflix movie to 28 days (Sandra Bullock) for distraction and inspiration.
I was literally drenched with rivers of sweat. I opened the window (remember: its Canada, and its February) - it was cooking. I made it, though!!!
The mealtimes were much like those of the days before, so no surprises there.
My evening was a cardio evening – an hour run. I suffered. That’s all I want to say.

About running: I feel better for doing it and will carry on doing it - still, I have yet to understand the magnitude and mind control, the utter perseverance it takes to run a marathon. Is there something like a fitness barrier? Certainly – it would be something to break through. Running 5 miles is ok for general average fitness, but I cannot imagine what I would have to do to train for and run a marathon.

Day #7 (today)
I was due at the same client early. I was dead tired when I woke. I decided to not run this morning. My driving took me on a hair-raising trip morning and evening – with some high strong winds which whipped at the car and heavy traffic (this is a long weekend in Ontario) on the Burlington Skyway.
I then drove to the city where my kids go to University, more wind, heavy traffic on the way, pick them up and eventually returned home at almost 8pm. I was very hungry by then and decided to take a rest day. I had a light dinner, still keeping the guidelines of the eating plan. In total today, I skipped 2 of the meals.

Results for the past 7 days:
Maybe my scales are lying – I plan getting a new one on the weekend – but it showed a 7 pound weight loss. I am not starving myself, have eaten every 3 hours as prescribed – except for today, drink lots of water.
My stomach is flatter and tighter, the roll around my midriff is definitely slightly smaller. The though muscles look firmer. Obviously I can see there is quite a bit of fat to be lost and things are not happening quickly enough in the mirror.

Other effects I have noticed this week:
1.      I normally have a huge problem with water retention and take diuretics on a regular basis. I never had any issues with water retention this whole week!! That in itself is really a great “side-effect”
2.      The regular madly excruciating cluster headaches and the tension headaches from sitting hunched over my laptop had not appeared once this whole week. Another great side effect.

The weekend thus looms with plenty time to… sleep in and work out, I guess.

1 comment: